Eggplant veggies dish with smoked herring: This dish can be served for breakfast or dinner.
*Serve 3-4 people
- Eggplant (2Lbs.)
- Smoked herring (3 Oz.)
- Small onion or shallot (1)
- Bell pepper (1/4 cup sliced)
- Parsley and thyme (2 sprigs tied)
- Tomato (1 small)
- Tomato paste (1 Tsp.)
- Water (4 cups)
- Lime (1/4 lime)
- Epis (1 Tsp.)
- Oil (1.5 Tbsp.)
- Carrot (1 large)
- Maggi (1/2 Tablet)
- Scotch bonnet or Habanero pepper (1)
- 4 Cloves
- Soak the herring for at least 30 minutes. Drain the water and add more water to soak again. This is done to remove the excess salt from the herring because herrings are very salty. Drain the water again and pull the herring apart with your hands. Set herring aside in a small bowl.
- Wash and peel eggplants and cut into three or four pieces, rinse and add to pot with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Drain water and mash eggplant with a fork or a pestle. You may also use the bottom of a cup.
- In a separate pan, add the oil and epis and sauté with tomato paste for two minutes. Stir to prevent the tomato paste from getting burned. Add the bell peppers, herring, and onions and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the Maggi, carrot, and mashed eggplant and stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until the water is dry.
Your eggplant veggies with smoked herring dish is ready.
*Served with white rice or boiled plantains. You may also serve it with bread for breakfast.