HAITIAN BAKED PATTIES WITH CHICKEN
COOKING TIME: 30 MIN CHILL TIME: 4 HOURS TOTAL TIME: 6 HOURS SERVES: 10 PATTIES
Prepare the dough:
- 2.5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks of cold butter (not frozen)
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add 2 cups of flour to a bowl
- Cut butter into small pieces and add to bowl. Use your hands to mix the butter and the flour.
- Add the water and salt to a cup and stir until all the salt is dissolved and the water is salty.
- Add the salted water to the flour and butter mix. Use your hands to mix until the dough is formed into a ball.
- Sprinkle some flour on the cutting board and place the dough on it. Use your hands to flatten the dough until it is flat and round. Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the freezer and unwrap. Flour the cutting board again and use a rolling pin. Roll the dough into a rectangle and fold it in three, the same way you would fold an envelope. Turn the dough to face you in a vertical position and roll it again into a rectangle form. Wrap the dough again and freeze it for 30 minutes. Repeat this step at least two more times.
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 1 small tomato (chopped)
- 1 shallot or small onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon epis
- ¼ tablet Maggi
- 1 lemon
- ¼ bell pepper (chopped)
- Add the meat to a bowl. Squeeze the lemon over the chicken and rub the lemon on the chicken. Add the salt and mix with your hand or a spoon. Let the chicken marinate in the citrus and salt for a few minutes.
- Rinse the chicken and add epis and Maggi. Let marinate for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken to a pan with oil and the epis. Cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Turn the meat over and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato, shallot or onion, and bell peppers. Lower the heat, cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add meat to a food processor and chop for about 30 seconds.
You may also like our Peanut Butter recipe
Preparing the patties:
- Remove the dough from the freezer and remove the plastic wrap. Flour the cutting board before placing the dough on it. Turn the dough to face you in a horizontal position and cut it evenly into five pieces and place them on the side of the cutting board.
- Take one piece and turn it to face you in a vertical position. Roll it into a rectangle form. Use a knife to cut the sides to make it even. Use a knife to split the dough in half.
- Add 2 tablespoons of meat on one side of the dough and seal it with your fingers. You may also add a small amount of water to a bowl to wet a fork. Use the wet fork to seal the dough.
- Place parchment paper on a place and place the patty on the plate. Do not let the patties touch each other. A regular plate may only take five patties. Add more parchment paper on top of the patties and add the rest of the patties on top.
- Repeat until you have 10 patties.
- Cover the patties with wrapping paper and place in the freezer for at least 2-3 hours. You may also leave them there for as long as you want until you need them.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F
- Once you hear the oven beep, remove the patties from the freezer. Add parchment paper on a large flat baking pan and place the patties on in the baking pan.
- Bake the patties for 30 minutes.
- Remove the patties and allow them to cool off for a few minutes before serving. Patties go well with fresh avocados.