Haitian fried pork recipe. Below, you will find four different ways you can prepare this dish. You may eat it fried, broiled, air fried, or you may eat it in a sauce with veggies or rice. However, keep in mind this dish is traditionally fried.
1 pound pork shoulder
1 tablespoon epis
1 shallot or small onion – sliced for the sauce
1/4 bell pepper – chopped for the sauce
1 sour orange
1 tablespoon lemon or sour orange juice
1/2 Maggi tablet
2 cups water +(1/2 cup for sauce)
1 cup oil + (1 tablespoon oil for the sauce)
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Add meat to a bowl and cut meat in two inch cubes. Leave all fat and skin on meat. We leave the fat for flavor but we don’t necessarily eat it. Squeeze half lemon and sour orange juice on the meat. Rub the citrus on the meat one piece at a time. Add the salt and mix with your hands. Let the meat sit in the citrus and salt for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the citrus and throw in the trash. Rinse the meat and drain the water. Add the epis, Maggi, and citrus juice. Taste for salt. Allow the meat to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Add the meat and epis to a pot and cook (covered) on medium heat for 25 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the pot and leave the sauce in the pot.
- Griyo is traditionally fried. However you may broil or air fry the meat. To fry the meat, add 1 cup of oil to a small pot and heat for up to five minutes. Add the meat and fry for 2-3 minutes. Turn the meat over and fry the other side for 2-3 minutes. Your Haitian fried pork is ready.
- To broil the meat, preheat your oven on broil or 525 degrees. Add the meat in a cast iron skillet and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of oil over it. Broil for 10 minutes. Turn the meat over and broil the other side for 3 minutes.
- To air fry the meat, add it to an air fryer on 390 degrees and air fry for 11 minutes.
- If you would like to eat your meat with sauce then pour the sauce that was used to cook the meat into a small bow. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pot with the tomato paste and stir. Cook the oil and the tomato paste for 2 minutes on medium heat. Do not let the tomato paste burn. If the tomato paste turns black then it’s burned. Add the bell peppers and the sauce used to cook the meat with 1/2 cup of water. Stir and allow it to cook for 3 minutes. Add the shallot or onion and cook for another two minutes. Add the meat and let it simmer for a couple minutes on low heat.